Total Metacarpophalangal Replacement™
The TMPR™ aims to replicate an anatomical MCP joint and offer a restored range of motion and near-normal function to patients.
The spherical metacarpal bearing provides close to normal movement in the MCP joint and maintains full conformity throughout ROM. The metacarpal head has a groove to stabilise the extensor mechanism and side panels to protect the collateral ligaments. Offset stems correspond to the insertion points of the collateral ligaments and provide a stabilising action during flexion-extension. Long-term fixation is achieved with locking barb-action fins and decoupled stress transfer.
The TMPR™ has been in clinical use since 1994. Data shows that the device:
- Offers relief from pain ;
- Improves range of active movement to that required for activities of daily living ;
- Enables the achievement of a strong, stable grip ;
- Is reported by patients to restore near normal function ;
- Has minimal reported intraoperative and postoperative complications .
- Harris D. and Diaz JJ. Five-year results of a new total replacement prosthesis for the finger metacarpo-phalangeal joints. Journal of Hand Surgery (British and European Volume). 2003; 28B (5): 432–438